Sunday, March 9, 2008

Paper Paste Technique






Paste Paper Technique adapted from Lisa Vollrath's instructions
by Elizabeth Kertz

This paste paper technique was originally published by Lisa Vollrath on her site: http://www.lisavollrath.com/pages/107 However, this may be an old link.

Supplies (shown in photo): From left clockwise: Cups for mixing, cheap acrylic paint, Sta Flo, various papers and surfaces, credit cards cut using decorative scissors, foam brush, knitting needle, bamboo skewer, rotary cutter for pie crusts, comb/pick, pastry cutter.
Not shown: Plastic or drop cloth to cover your surface.
ALTERNATELY you can use liquid wallpaper paste instead of the Sta Flo.

Instructions:
1. Pour a small amount of paint into a cup. Add about five times that amount of Sta Flo to the paint and stir until completely blended.
2. Repeat the process for the second color.
3. Using a foam or bristle brush, apply the first color.
4. According to Lisa's site, apply the second color while the firstcolor is still wet. I found I had better luck with the outcome when I waited for the first color to dry completely before adding the second color.
5. While the second color is still wet, use a tool of your choice to "scratch" patterns into the paper. Be sure to wipe the excess buildup off your tool, and clean up with soap and water as soon asyou are finished. Cleanup is difficult if you allow the paste to dry on the tool.

Ruminations:I'm not completely sold on paste paper. For some reason, I don'tseem to enjoy making these, although they do come out smooth in the end. I just don't have the talent it takes to make them look all that good, no matter what tool I use. Further, I'm not sure what I'll ever use these backgrounds for. However, if you are a scrapbooker,these might make great backgrounds for photos.I suggest using two very different color combinations, like red andy ellow, or green and purple. I used pink and lavendar in the examples and there wasn't enough contrast. I also had better luck when I allowed the first color to completely dry before adding the second color. That is what I did on the frames and heavy CS with the design made from the pick.Be prepared for warping, no matter how heavy the material. Note that the mat board of the photo frames is warped. However, you can minimize the warp by placing them under a heavy object overnight.I have to admit, this is much easier than the previous method of cooking flour, etc. Your paper even smells halfway decent, too, and you don't have to worry about spoilage because you can control yourbatch size.

I would also like to thank Lisa Vollrath for the excellent instructions. Although I didn't follow them exactly, I found them helpful when doing this project.

No comments: