Friday, September 12, 2008

Fabric Paper Pocket Purses

Top or front of pocket purse after it has been sewn
This one shows how I sewed on the cloth strip and how it looks tied.
Random zigzag sewing. Some of the batting is showing through the edge.
More random sewing.
How it looks after I cut out the quiltie sandwich with the template.
How the inside of my pocket purse will look.
Other view of how it looks after is it sewn. Love the fabric paper background!



I am sure that there is another name for it. That is just what I made up. I know that I have not posted techniques for quite awhile now. I just started a new school year and have been busy with that. I start my reading cohort next week and will be busy with that for the next 3 years. It is only once a week though or I would not have considered it with my two kids.

I have slowly been weaning myself from swaps. I have told myself that I cannot host or do any more swaps because of everything else in my life. I could not pass up a fabric paper swap though. These pocket purses for for CCSwaps - part of the Next Generation Stampers Yahoo group.

This is a pretty easy thing for a fabric newbie to make. If you are more experienced with sewing and quilting, then it should not take you long to do this. The fun is in how you embellish it - embroidery, flowers, stamps, whatever you want. I have chosen to leave it like it is because I like the background images.

If you have not tried making fabric paper yet, then you are in for some fun. Beryl Taylor's book has the complete instructions and so does various issues of Cloth Paper Scissors magazine. You do not have to use fabric paper, you can use any type of fabric instead. I am not going to go into detail on how to make fabric paper. I have done it a few times on my other blog.

You will need the following:

fabric paper section or fabric of choice
batting, also called poly-fil
fabric for the other side of your sandwich
sewing machine and thread - you can hand sew this as well.
ribbon or strips of fabric
pocket purse template
The pocket purse template was made with a file folder. I just measured a 4x8 rectangle and used a compass to draw an arc on one side for the purse flap. Email me if you need me to send the template to you.


1. Cut out a section of fabric paper larger than the purse template.


2. Lay the fabric paper section on top of the batting and your bottom layer of fabric. Make sure the bottom layer is facing the right way. When you cut the quiltie sandwich, but the batting and bottom layer a little larger than the fabric paper piece. Unless you are really good at pinning, the sandwich will shift a little and your batting will bunch up a bit. You don't want to have less material area than you wanted for the pocket purse.


3. Starting from the middle, randomly zigzag stitch going outwards. Don't stitch in narrow rows or your purse will be really flat with not puff at all. If that is what you want, then do that. No need to worry about the edges. You will sew the edges after you use the template. I like to use a contrasting color for the thread because I think the stitches add to the background. Alternate between zigzag and straight stitches if you want more contrast and texture. Trim loose threads.


4. Place the purse template on top of your quiltie sandwich. Cut it out according to the template. You may want to pin it if you don't want any shifting. I am not that exact, so I don't bother.


5. Sew the edge opposite your purse flap. Trim threads.


6. Fold the purse over so you get the pocket purse form. Decide how much of a flap you want. Starting at one end of the pocket, start sewing. Go over the edge where the pocket ends and the flap begins so you won't get tearing later on from opening or putting stuff inside your pocket purse. As you are sewing, you are keeping close to the edge. Just go along the border of the entire pocket purse. You are sewing in a big "u" shape. Just be sure that you don't sew across the pocket purse so you sew the opening shut. Trim loose threads.


7. Cut a piece of ribbon or strip of cloth long enough to be used to tie the pocket purse closed. My strip of fabric was a little less than 20" long. Also, cut out a small scrap of fabric in a rectangle shape slightly wider than the ribbon or cloth strip.


8. Position your ribbon/cloth strip over the top of the flap and put the scrap of cloth over it. Sew over it several times to secure the ribbon/cloth strip to the flap.


9. Embellish as desired and you are done!

2 comments:

PaulineC said...

They are super. I am looking forward to having a go. Thanks for posting the instructions. PaulineC

Anonymous said...

Great.... a beautiful purse. You are so creative. Colorful material. If it is worked professionally, I think it will be an expensive pursue. Good job!