Sunday, March 9, 2008

Setting dyed fabric

This post was from Cathy Johnson in the Fabricinalteredart Yahoo group:

Last night (well, yesterday but I watched it last night) on Simply Quilts (which just came back on here) they were dyeing silk. The guy wet it with white vinegar before he poured the dye on it, then stuck it in the microwave at half power for 5 minutes (in a microwave saft dish of course....lol) . Then he rinsed it and let it dry. He did not lose much color when it rinsed it in cold water. I decided to try the same thing tonight. I used a piece of white tone on tone that has little music notes on it. I laid the fabric in the dish, poured some vinegar on it to wet it and squeezed out the excess, then sprayed a few colors on. I spread the fabric square out in the dish and put it in the microwave on 5 for about 2.5 min since I had a small piece of fabric. I kept checking it until it was dry. When I rinsed it out you could barely see the water change color. The color is really set!

If you don't want to invest in a lot of dye and chemicals, it is a quick easy way to color a little fabric at a time. You just might need to create that perfect color for a project!

2 comments:

Corrine said...

What kind of dye did you use?

Angie in AZ said...

I know this is weird getting a comment on a post several months old but I just found this second blog of yours! I'm wondering if the fabric needed to be in the microwave until it was dry? Was it covered? I tried to look it up on HGTV with no luck.
Thanks,
Angie